Monday, November 29, 2010

Esper Aggro

Well folks, I promised you a non-Combo Sharuum beatdown deck. It's up to you to decide weather or not I delivered, but for what it's worth, here is the list.

General: Sharuum the Hegemon (WUB)

Guys:

Leonin Abunas
Indomitable Archangel
Sun Titan


Vedalken Engineer
Riddlesmith
Etherium Sculptor
Master of Etherium
Trinket Mage

Grand Architect
Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Arcum Dagsson
Master Transmuter
Vedalken Archmage
Ethersworn Adjudicator
Sharding Sphinx
Inkwell Leviathan

Dimir House Guard
Geth, Lord of the Vault

Shadowmage Infiltrator
Sphinx Summoner
Glassdust Hulk
Angel of Despair
Filigree Angel
Sphinx of the Steel Wind

Myr Retriever
Scarecrone
Etched Champion
Solemn Simulacrum
Kuldotha Forgemaster * (was Wurmcoil Engine, but I needed the Wurm for another deck)
Steel Hellkite
Duplicant
Darksteel Colossus

Stuff:
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Dispeller's Capsule
Scourglass
Open the Vaults

Courier's Capsule
Thirst for Knowledge
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Thoughtcast
Tezzeret the Seeker
Acquire

Executioner's Capsule
Damnation
Beacon of Unrest

Thopter Foundry

All is Dust

Sol Ring
Voltaic Key
Skullclamp
Pithing Needle
Azorius Signet
Dimir Signet
Orzhov Signet
Cranial Plating
Lightning Greaves
Grim Monolith
Sculpting Steel
Mimic Vat
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of Fire and Ice
Lux Cannon
Chimeric Mass

Lands:
Plains x2
Island x 2
Swamp x2
Ancient Den

Seat of Synod
Vault of Whispers
New Benalia
Tolaria West
Bojuka Bog
Glimmervoid
Mystifying Maze
Kor Haven
High Market
Academy Ruins
Arcane Sanctum
Dromar's Caverns
Azorius Chancery
Dimir Aqueduct
Orzhov Basilica
Hallowed Fountain
Watery Grave
Godless Shrine
Adarkar Wastes
Underground River
Caves of Koilos
Flooded Strand
Marsh Flats
Sunken Ruins
Glacial Fortress
Drowned Catacomb
Celestial Colonnade
Creeping Tar Pit


I don't have a lot of time to discuss right now, and really there isn't too much to explain. It's a straightforward WUB/Esper deck with good solid threats, some utility and acceleration and relevant tutors/support.

The mana base isn't interesting, except that it only plays 35 lands. I'd like to get the number up, but I'm having a hell of a time cutting stuff as it is. Here's a sample of what is missing from the deck that I'd like to fit in somehow:

Ethersworn Cannonist
Sanctum Gargoyle
Tempered Steel
Wrath of God
Faerie Mechanist
Fabricate
March of the Machines
Argivian Restoration
Junk Diver
Scroll Rack

Crystal Ball
Cloud Key
Prototype Portal
Citanul Flute

And of course, Wurmcoil Engine needs to go back in, if I can acquire another copy. Tempered Steel is also pretty crucial, but I needed those for a Myr Tribal deck. I should have an extra copy for the Sharuum deck in a couple of weeks though.

Anyway, playing the deck is pretty simple. There are no intricate combos (as far as I know, at least) to assemble, just dump your hand and swing, basically. It's light on removal and utility, so use that stuff sparingly. Try to gain an advantage first, then use the removal to hold on to it. Draw cards as often as possible too.

The one issue I've had is that almost half the creatures are non-Artifact creatures. I need to replace some of those with Artifact guys, but the ones I am running are so damn useful and relevant, it's hard to know what I can live without. Indomitable Archangel is a good candidate for replacement, though. I don't like not being able to equip my Artifact guys. Arcum is good, but since I'm not setting up dumb combos with him, he might not be good enough either. Shadowmage infiltrator is SO damn good, but he's one of the few guys that isn't directly on theme.

Oh, and in case you all haven't learned this lesson yet: Mimic Vat is a fuckin' Rock Star! I'm rapidly starting to consider it the single best overall EDH Rare in Scars. I knew it was going to be good, but it is rapidly starting to exceed my wildest dreams.

Anyway, with all the stuff I had to cut when building this, I'm absolutely sure it'll change somewhat, so I'll update you on any significant changes. In the mean time, I've got a Jund deck up and running, but I have a few kinks to work out with it first. Decklist soon.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment