Monday, May 2, 2011

NPH Wishlist

Not so much a comprehensive list, but just the specific cards I'm looking to pick up for certain decks. There are plenty of other cards not on this list that I want for various reasons but might not make it into existing decks. For now here are my current EDH decks and the most likely inclusions from New Phyrexia:

Also, this isn't really meant to be an entertaining read, it's really more for my reference so I can remember what I need to buy when the set comes out. But do feel free to chime in with your own wishlists, or if you think I'm overlooking some hidden gems!

Wrexial (Brand new deck, still under construction)

Praetor’s Grasp – A must for any deck, but especially relevant and on-theme in this deck

Phyrexian Metamorph – Another auto-include in many decks, this one is actually less desirable. Still, there will almost always be something relevant to copy on someone’s side of the table.

Chancellor of the Spires – An ETBF version of Wrexial/Memory Plunder seems cool. And this is the one deck where the Chancellor’s reveal ability might actually matter.

Mindcrank – Every time someone takes damage, they get milled. Why wouldn’t I want this?

Caged Sun – Mirari’s Wake in a UB deck? It’s more likely than you think.


Rafiq

Blighted Agent – Unblockable and Infect on the same creature? For 2 mana? This literally couldn’t be a more perfect fit for Rafiq.

Phyrexian Metamorph – Definitely good here, this can copy an important piece of Equipment or the best beast-stick on the board.

Beast Within – Duh.

Birthing Pod – This might actually be the one deck that doesn’t need this card. I’ll probably run it anyway.

Triumph of the Hordes – I’m really not sure I want this. I’m sure it will be good – I’m just not sure my playgroup would forgive me.

Sword of War and Peace – I’m not going to shell out $25 for this, but if I open one, or the price drops I’ll be more than happy to play it, and this deck has first dibs.


Oros

Puresteel Paladin – Obviously, this is good in an Equipment-focused deck.

Remember the Fallen – Another card that seems almost tailor made for this deck – 2-for-1 card advantage that gets back a fallen creature AND it’s weapon.

Praetor’s Grasp – Again, probably every deck will run this, but here it can easily be another Equipment tutor… for my opponent’s best Equipment!

Bludgeon Brawl – I’d have to increase the overall number of non-Equipment artifacts for this to be worth a slot, but it’s wacky enough that might be worth doing.

Urabrask the Hidden – Being an Aggro deck, this guy should fit right in. Haste is good in EDH.

Caged Sun – Slightly clunky in a three-color deck, but it still seems powerful enough to me. Set this to "Black" and drop Urborg. Fun.

Zur

Elesh Norn – The deck already runs Massacre Wurm and Venser… this is just icing on the cake.

Phyrexian Unlife – I haven’t decided if I want to add Necropotence, but this might be worth running either way.

Praetor’s Grasp – LOL, I told you!

Caged Sun – I’ll be shoehorning this into every deck imaginable for a while… will likely not perform as well as I hope outside of 1 and 2 color decks, still I just love it too much!

Big Highlander

Phyrexian Metamorph – Every deck status!

Sheoldred, Whispering One­ – More likely to be bomb-y and swing-y (i.e. stay on the table more than two seconds) in this format.

Praetor’s Grasp – Every deck status!

Urabrask the Hidden – Madrush Cyclops is good, but Urabrask is a HUGE upgrade.

Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger­­­ – Good Tooth & Nail target, probably.

Beast Within – Every deck status!

Birthing Pod – Yay for repeatable creature tutoring! I can’t wait to sac Protean Hulk to Birthing Pod!

Etched Monstrosity­ – Janky, but fun. If I get a foil of this I will absolutely run it, otherwise it’s 50/50.

No comments:

Post a Comment