Friday, August 6, 2010

I'm With GoCo

Ghost Council of Orzhova! 
And here is his deck:
3 Nip Gwyllion
4 Mourning Thrull
3 Night Sky Mimic
3 Orzhov Pontiff
3 Blind Hunter
4 Ghost Council of Orzhova
2 Divinity of Pride

3 Mortify
3 Unmake
3 Zealous Persecution
3 Edge of Divinity
2 Cauldron Haze

4 Godless Shrine
3 Orzhov Basilica
3 Caves of Koilos
2 Tainted Field
2 Leechridden Swamp
5 Swamp
5 Plains

This list probably isn't right where I want it, but I can't make up my mind what all I need and what I just like. This is reflected in the lack of 4x any particular card, as I tried to cram in everything but the Kitchen Sink... ooh, Kitchen Finks would be great here, but I'm a stickler for off-color hybrid stuff. It ruins the aesthetics. 
But as I was saying I like too many of these cards, but I can't figure out what to cut to make more stuff 4x. Obviously, I like Ghost Council. A lot. He's just about my favorite card out of the whole Ravnica block - along with Niv-Mizzet and Loxodon Hierarch. 

Hmm... then again, maybe more diversity is a good thing for this deck. Maybe diversity > consistency here? 

One thing I do know is that I'd LOVE some card draw up in dis bitch. Sign in Blood, maybe? Phyrexian Arena is probably better. Dark Confidant? No, the problem with any and all of these is that every single card in the deck is multi-color; either traditional W/B or Hybrid. One of the reasons for this is to support the amazing Night Sky Mimic (note: this card is a 3x just because I can't find the others; I have like 10 of them, but could only find 3 at the moment - this guy WILL be 4x once I locate their hiding spot). And it was just fun seeing if I could build a deck with ZERO mono-colored cards. 

So a search of Gatherer reveals that the only card that is W/B that has the word "draw" anywhere on it is Conjurer's Ban. The Ban is a pretty mediocre card, and just cantrips, so it doesn't even really count as "card draw" so much as it is "card parity". Now, see if Castigate was a cantrip, that'd be just dandy. Alas, I guess I'll have to just see how she does without any draw, and maybe I won't need it after all.

The deck is capable of explosive starts - swinging with a 4/4 Lifelink on turn 2 or a 7/7 Flyer on turn 3 is pretty damn hard to stop for most decks. The 1-2 punch of Zealous Persecution and Orzhov Pontiff can be quite devastating as well to many decks. Blind Hunter is silly, but I always wanted to try to make him good. He's probably gonna get the axe at some point, but not before I give him ample opportunity to prove himself.

I wanted a couple of Deathbringer Lieges in here too, but it made the curve just a bit too steep. Maybe I can work 'em in later... we shall see. It would be nice, as it turns every spell in the deck into removal. Yeah, the more I think on that, the more I think I want 'em, but I dunno. 

For more ideas, here's the Gatherer list of every W/B card in Magic currently. Almost all of these cards could be playable, though some would require a bit of a paradigm shift in the deck to make sense. Some particularly tempting morsels include:

Angel of Despair
Debtors Knell
Gerrard's Verdict
Identity Crisis
Teysa, Orzhov Scion
Vindicate

Those are just the cream of the crop, but most of the cards on the list are playable. I really think W/B is my favorite color pair in Magic, but I rarely actually build W/B decks... odd.


No comments:

Post a Comment