Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fucking Skyrim...

Sorry, folks, for the pathetic lack of content. There are reasons (read: excuses, mostly). The biggest of them all is that, of course, I haven't been building anything lately. Having completed my epic building marathon which lead to six new decks PLUS the reconstruction of my Wrexial deck, I basically can't build any more decks unless I want to dismantle some existing ones. I'm basically out of cards.... well, good ones, at least.

In a seperate but highly related issue, I just haven't actually gotten to PLAY much Magic lately. Which means two things. 1) I have little to no data on which to base any modifications or upgrades to said existing decks, and 2) I have little to no data to justify taking any of them apart.

I simply haven't played ANY of my new decks enough to warrant significant modifications or dismantlement. So, since I am not PLAYING, I am not BUILDING, and when neither playing nor building is taking place, it is VERY difficult to generate content!

Another factor is that we are currently in the midst of the longest stretch of no-new-products WotC puts us through each year. WotC wisely inserts a long delay after their end-of-September set, not releasing their next expansion until Feburary of the next year! This is a blessing, though, because as they know, people will be spending what money they have, if any, on holiday shopping and other such bullshit. I'm sure they have some kind of market research backing this up, but I have a feeling that releasing a "middle set" expansion in the midst of the Christmas shopping season would NOT be a smart move, fiscally. It also gives us devoted, but cash-strapped, players time to recharge after gorging hedonistically on the fall Large Expansion, which are always exciting and demand multiple-box purchases.

So, in addition to not playing or building, I'm also not buying either.

Finally, the nail in the coffin for ALL other pursuits and, indeed, my overal usefulness as a human being, is the most addictive video game ever made: Skyrim. I have fallen prey to it's allure and it will not let me go. I assure you, my poor neglected readers, that in time I will begin to tear my eyes from the beauty and wonder that is Skyrim, and return to this boring, dreadful reality... already, I am starting to feel the slightest bit of nostalgia for Magic: the Gathering - it seems so distant, so long ago... but for now, the thrill of hunting down and killing a rogue Dragon, and one-shot-ing Giants with my disgustingly overpowered archery skills is just too much fun to resist. Not even Twincasting a kicked Rite of Replication targeting Primeval Titan and Consecrated Sphinx, with Doubling Seaon in play can compete with the splendor of Skyrim.

Fortunately, Dark Ascension is right around the corner, and spoiler season is well under way. If nothing else, I will at least promise you a full set review upon the complete spoilage of the set. Look forward to that, at least, and I can only hope that tides you all over until I am done slaying Dragons...

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment